Las Vegas Day 3 Update
Three teams in our Five-Star Top 25 felt the sting of season-ending losses this afternoon to unranked teams. The No. 3 Oakland Soldiers lost by 16 to an undefeated Branch West. No. 6 The Playaz Basketball Club lost a 2OT battle to Seattle Rotary and No. 16 Terry Porter Elite was given a 20-point loss to Wisconsin Swing.
But that is what Vegas is about – you better bring your A game. These players listed below did just that during today’s first round games.
*Please check in later for the update from Adidas Super 64.
Jabari Parker, Mac Irvin Fire | Fab 48: His team was engaged in one of the most intense match-ups seen in Vegas against Louisiana Dynasty. A coach was ejected, both teams were in the double bonus with over 10 minutes left and even the parents in the stands were going at it. This all made it the more impressive that Parker was insistent on attacking the rim despite the looming physical contact. He also did a good job rebounding the ball in traffic as well. He finished with 22 points.
Gervaughn McGhee, Louisiana Dynasty | Fab 48: The 6-5 guard dropped a game-high 28 points on Mac Irvin Fire. He was physically dominant on his way to the rim and made it a routine to punish smaller defenders. Even though he was consistently on the attack, it never seemed like he was forcing the issue and turned out to be a quiet 28 points. He also hit some shots from deep.
Devon Bookert, Branch West | Fab 48: His team came in as big-time underdogs against No. 3 Oakland Soldiers. Bookert, himself came in as a virtual unknown. The 6-3 guard is from Alaska and just started playing for Branch West this summer after he earned a chance to play at Impact Basketball Academy. While the key to the team’s win was frustrating the inside duo of Brandon Ashley and Aaron Gordon, somebody had to score and he did, notching 22. He scored on penetration to the hoop and was very steady in setting up teammates.
Notes from Fab 48:
- Anrio Adams is not with the Seattle Rotary. Instead he is back home taking summer classes in hopes that he can land at St. Patrick (N.J.) this fall.
- NBA players in attendance at Fab 48: Leon Powe, Amir Johnson, Aaron Affalo. Tu Holloway (Xavier) was also in attedance watching Myles Davis’ Playaz Basketball Club game vs. Seattle Rotary.
- Team Philly’s Lonnie Lowry tells us that his point guard Maurice Watson was offered by Texas A&M yesterday.
- It will be interesting to see where the crowds gravitate towards in the wake of the upset loss by the Oakland Soldiers. The team was easily the biggest sell for fans at the Fab 48. It got to the point where their games where shifted to the main gym so that everybody could fit.
- Before the second round games start, the favorite to win it all in the 17U Division is the Mac Irvin Fire. The same theory can be applied for the 16U Division as well, according to our Five-Star Top 25 rankings.
Please note, there will be more dedicated coverage to the 16U division tomorrow as the Championship Games for both division will be played.